Switzerland's biggest-ever construction project is making good progress. This is evidenced by the latest annual film from AlpTransit Gotthard Ltd., which in around 30 minutes illustrates the most important work steps of 2010. The film was presented to the public at a premiere in Erstfeld on March 30, 2012.
The film documents the progress of construction in 2011. The year is characterised by the transition from tunnel construction to installation of the railway infrastructure systems.
Gotthard Base Tunnel milestones 2011
- Second final breakthrough: On March 23, 2011, breakthrough in the west tube takes place; the Gotthard Base Tunnel is now completely cut
- Installation of the railway infrastructure systems on the Bodio pilot section, including the railway track and overhead conductor, makes good progress
- Installation of the railway infrastructure systems in the north begins
- The Altdorf–Erstfeld single-track phase begins
Ceneri Base Tunnel milestones 2011
- From Sigirino, the miners continue driving the two tunnel tubes north and south under the Ceneri
- Last blast in the drive from the north portal: the miners complete excavation of this tricky section and reach the lot boundary
Annual film in three languages
The AlpTransit Gotthard Ltd. annual film for 2011 is now available in three language versions (German, Italian, English). The DVD, which costs CHF 30, can be ordered on the Internet (www.alptransit.ch) or purchased directly at the AlpTransit information centres in Erstfeld, Sedrun and Pollegio, or at the headquarters of AlpTransit Gotthard Ltd. in Lucerne. The DVD is also available at the RailShop in Lucerne railway station.